2017 State of Black America
Social Media Kit
The 2017 State of Black America report will be released on Tuesday, May 2! Findings from the National Urban League’s highly anticipated publication will be unveiled at the State of Black America Empowerment Summit in Washington, D.C. SOBA will explore the ways in which quality of life has both improved AND lagged for people of color.
This year’s report comes during an uncertain political climate, as lawmakers consider budget cuts that could devastate communities of color. The report also features the Main Street Marshall Plan, a comprehensive set of recommendations to help transform inner cities from poverty to prosperity. Use the sample messages and memes below to create dialogue across your social media networks!
- #ProtectOurProgress (primary)
- Countdown to highly anticipated #StateOfBlackAmerica report is on! WATCH LIVE, May 2 at 11am ET: StateOfBlackAmerica.org #ProtectOurProgress
- 2017 #StateOfBlackAmerica report will be out in a few days! Where do our communities stand? StateOfBlackAmerica.org #ProtectOurProgress
- 2017 #StateOfBlackAmerica report features a plan to shift urban America from poverty to prosperity. Stay tuned! #ProtectOurProgress
- 2017 State of Black America report launches in just a few days! Tune in LIVE on Tuesday morning at 11am ET as our CEO Marc Morial unveils this year’s findings. Where do our communities stand on key quality of life indicators? #ProtectOurProgress #StateOfBlackAmerica #NationalUrbanLeague
- The 2017 #StateOfBlackAmerica report is coming! Watch LIVE on Tuesday at 11am ET as our CEO Marc Morial unveil key findings on racial equality.
- This year’s report comes at a pivotal moment in which federal budget proposals could further disadvantage our communities. SOBA includes a robust plan to transform inner cities from poverty to prosperity and improve quality of life for people of color. Join the conversation via #ProtectOurProgress! StateOfBlackAmerica.org
Day of Launch
- .@NatUrbanLeague's 2017 #StateOfBlackAmerica report is now available! Download for FREE at StateOfBlackAmerica.org. #ProtectOurProgress
- 2017 #StateOfBlackAmerica report launches today! Watch live at 11am ET & join the convo via #ProtectOurProgress: StateOfBlackAmerica.org
- Starting today, you can access data and analysis on the current #StateOfBlackAmerica at StateOfBlackAmerica.org! #ProtectOurProgress
- 2017 State of Black America report is now available! Check out the key findings and review the Marshall Plan for prosperity and improved quality of life in urban America. We want to hear from you! Share your thoughts using #ProtectOurProgress. #StateOfBlackAmerica #NationalUrbanLeague #MarshallPlan
- The highly anticipated 2017 #StateOfBlackAmerica report is NOW AVAILABLE! See where we stand as a nation on key racial equality and quality of life indicators. The report features data from communities across the U.S., insightful analysis, and compelling essays.
- We want to hear from you! Share your initial reactions using #ProtectOurProgress.
- .What's in @NatUrbanLeague's seminal #StateOfBlackAmerica report? Visit StateOfBlackAmerica.org & share thoughts via #ProtectOurProgress!
- Has quality of life improved for African Americans & Latinos? @NatUrbanLeague explores: StateOfBlackAmerica.org. #ProtectOurProgress
- Had a chance to digest @NatUrbanLeague's #StateOfBlackAmerica report? Share thoughts via #ProtectOurProgress! StateOfBlackAmerica.org
- What do budget cuts mean for communities of color? @NatUrbanLeague’s State of Black America report offers key data and insightful analysis. Plus, a Marshall Plan to transform inner cities from a state of poverty to prosperity. Check it out at StateOfBlackAmerica.org! #ProtectOurProgress #StateOfBlackAmerica
- Had a chance to check out the 2017 #StateofBlackAmerica report yet? It comes as we face an uncertain political climate and budget cuts that could further devastate our communities. Check out the Marshall Plan for tangible solutions to transform inner cities from poverty to prosperity.
- Share thoughts and feedback via #ProtectOurProgress! StateOfBlackAmerica.org.
10 FAST FACTS – 2017 Findings
- Toledo, OH has the HIGHEST Black unemployment rate (20.7%) and the LOWEST median Black household income ($23,693).
- The highest median household income for Blacks ($68,054), whites ($112,177), AND Hispanics ($69,481) is in Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV.
- San Antonio, TX has one of the smallest Black-white unemployment gaps, with the Black unemployment rate at 6.4% and the white unemployment rate at 4.5%.
- The least equal metro area is Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI, with a double-digit Black unemployment rate (13.8%) and an exceptionally low white unemployment rate (2.7%).
- The metro area with the lowest Hispanic unemployment rate (3.3%) is Salt Lake City, Utah.
- The metro area with the highest Hispanic unemployment rate (13.2%) is Stockton-Lodi, CA.
- Black and white incomes are considerably unequal in Minneapolis, where the median household income for Blacks is $31,672 compared to $76,581 for whites.
- Hispanic and white incomes were least equal in Springfield, MA, where the median household income for Latinos is $24,929 compared to $62,321 for whites.
- The 2017 education index reveals a notable decline in high school dropout rates among all students, including African Americans.
- The metro area with the largest disparity between Hispanic and white unemployment rate is Rochester, NY (35.7%).